Monday, October 11, 2010

ch-ch-ch-chickpea tacos


I have something to confess. I am a vegetarian. And I'm damn proud of it. It's been about a year since I committed to this lifestyle and it's probably the best decision I've ever made. The main reason I made the switch was to help the environment out a little. I know, most people become vegetarians to save the animals - and that is a small part of the equation - but being a veghead is so good for the earth! Did you know that meat production is responsible for 20 percent of greenhouse gases produced each year? It's true. I got a whole pocketful of other veggie trivia that I might bust out when you least expect it. 

Also, I just feel healthier and it's extremely fun to cook now. I get a chance to spread my creativity to the kitchen and I have enjoyed researching this whole new world of recipes to try out. Like this recipe I found on Happy Herbivore. Chickpea tacos = YUM. It's so easy to make too. 

1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 packet of taco seasoning, or make your own
8 hard taco shells or small tortillas
Taco toppings

Preheat oven to 400 F. Whisk tamari, lemon juice, and taco seasoning in medium bowl. Toss in chickpeas until coated. Place chickpeas on lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake 20-25 minutes. Assemble tacos with chickpeas, lettuce, tomatoes (or salsa), cheese, and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment