Friday, October 1, 2010

scrub-a-dub dub

I don't know about you, but I love when I can complete a project in under 5 minutes. Maybe it's my short attention span or need for instant gratification -- either way it feels good to hold a finished product in your hands. My roommate can crochet blanket after blanket; she spends weeks on them. I just don't have that kind of patience. So I was really happy when I came across this little craft. I've seen ideas for facial scrubbies around Etsy, like this and this, that are just adorable. But hey, I'm all about saving a few pretty pennies and making them myself.

This project will eliminate the need for disposable cotton pads/balls for exfoliating your face or taking off makeup. When they're dirty, just gather them up in a mesh bag and throw them in with your laundry. I'm simply smitten over these little guys. You can make around 10 of these in a span of one Glee episode. Like I said, instant gratification (doubly gratifying if you're watching Glee).

Supplies:
Cotton Yarn (I used Lion Brand)
Size F crochet hook
Plastic yarn needle



Start by making a chain of 6 stitches. Then make a slip stitch into the first chain to form a circle.


First Round: Chain 3 (this will be your turning chain) and make 11 double crochet stitches into the center hole of the circle. Make a slip stitch into the top stitch of the turning chain. You now have a 12 stitch circle.

Second Round: Chain 3 for another turning chain. Then make two double crochet into each stitch. Make a slip stitch. You should now have 24 stitches around.


Final Round: Make one last turning chain of 3 stitches. Now make 2 double crochet in every second stitch. Then just finish off by weaving in the ends with a yarn needle.


You're done! Wouldn't a stack of these look great in a clear holder like this one? Little facial scrubbies that you can toss in the wash and reuse again and again. Happy times.

No comments:

Post a Comment